Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ankle Measles?

I am currently dealing with the second worst case of chiggers I have ever had. I look like I have measles of the ankles and knees.
I’ve spent more than half of my life living in Missouri but for whatever reason I never remember that these nasty little buggers exist.
This time I went crashing through an overgrown field out at Rockbridge. Actually, the trail I was on reached a point where it hadn’t been mowed, and rather than turn back which would entail going back up a rather long hill when I already had a tired mini daschund on my hands, I decided to forge ahead. Here I am 5 days later still scratching like crazy, and with bites in some really fun places, like the middle of my back, inside of my elbows, a few unmentionable locations and the previously mentioned ankles and knees.
The worst case of chiggers ever occurred around 10 years ago when Jorgie and I decided to spend the day whacking weeds in the ditch in front of the house, then cleaning up weeds around the sewage lagoon. Both of us got horrific cases of chiggers and poison ivy to the point that we needed prescription meds.
After a series of Google searches I did learn that chiggers don’t actually burrow under your skin. They just (just?) vomit on you, melting the skin which the chiggers then suck off your body. Isn’t that a pleasant thought? Its days like this that I think I need to move north again…except for that whole pesky winter starting in October and not leaving until April thing….. As so eloquently stated on my Guindon coffee mug- (somewhat paraprased) The Seasons of Michigan are- Spring, Summer, Winter, Winter, Winter...

No comments: