Thursday, December 27, 2007

Books, movies etc.

During the Thanksgiving holiday we had crappy weather and I sat in front of the T.V. quite a bit. I watched the movie ‘Chocolat’ on IFC. This is one of those movies that I had contemplating watching a bunch of times because I like most of the actors, but I just never got around to it. Well, I was really glad I watched it. I liked everything about it, the acting, the plots, the many sub-plots. I went to the library today and got the book…I’m hoping that I like it as much as the movie. I really think that my Mom would enjoy the story, although with her vision and hearing issues she doesn’t watch movies anymore…I’m hoping that the book is good so I can get it for her in large print.

As far as books, I’ve been reading quite a bit of Robert Crais. He writes detective novels, mainly about a character named Elvis Cole. The books are really good, deeper than a lot of the more popular stuff in the detective genre. So many authors churn out a book or two a year, relying so much on formulaic writing that it bores me stiff.

Oh- I also read a bunch of books on creating mosiacs. I want to do a tile backsplash in the bathroom at some point…I think I checked out every mosaic book in the library.

I’m been able to follow through with my edict to only check books out of the library, only buying books if I need something to read while traveling. Doing this has helped reduce the clutter around the house so much because I read a lot, and having to constantly shuffle piles of books around or pack up boxes for donation got to be a pain, not to mention the money spent on books. I’d guess that I save at least $50.00 a month, pretty sad considering that I used to buy most books used to begin with.

1 comment:

Phil said...

What I really liked about that movie, besides the fact that the leading actress was quite riveting, was the use of color. It was so ... rich. Like Chocolate. They did so good a job creating a mood with the color ... it was quite sumptuous.