Well folks, we are on day two of being snowed in. The sleet started in late Thursday (Nov 30th) afternoon. It took us about 40 minutes to get home- normally a 20-25 minute drive. We didn’t see any major wrecks, only one car that it’s driver had launched off the side of Rte. K. By Friday around 4am we were completely socked in with a drift 3 feet deep all the way along the front of our house. About 5am I started shoveling a path out into the yard so Buster the short-legged dog could get out to go potty. With 15 inches of snow, and the dog only standing about 12 inches at the shoulder…well, getting him out for potty breaks was a challenge.
By mid-day we had a few paths dug, and with the neighbor kids trekking back and forth- we have a good network of foot trails. Last night Jorgie dug out most of the front walkway, and I did some today- as far as the car, but we still have a good section of 2+ foot snow to dig out before we can attempt to hit the road. Since the area officials are still pleading with people to stay off the roads until there is an emergency, we decided to just stay home again. I did get a bit stir crazy after two days cooped up. I made mint chocolate chip cookies yesterday...definitely not on my diet, but with all the trooping through the snow, and digging out, its probably ok to eat a few. Today I got the Christmas tree unpacked and set up. I even dug out my special set of ornaments, and a nativity set that Erik’s Mom gave us ages ago. It was fun going through the ornaments. There are two very special ones that I remember from my very early childhood. Also, I found the ‘christmas carp’ ornament that my wonderful friend Laurie Wagel made back in 1982…I know the date because I wrote the date on the back of another one that we made at the same time. The carp is an homage to Guindon- who Laurie and I dearly loved. In fact, the other night I wore my
Tomorrow We will shovel some more and see what it will take to get us out of the driveway…at a time like it is kind of sucks to have a 50 odd foot driveway.
No comments:
Post a Comment