Monday, February 12, 2007

We never should have given him the good stuff

For years I had given Lacy and Nick a small piece of cheese in the evening as a snack. I started doing this when Nick had to take meds and he wouldn’t take them straight up.
I would buy fairly cheap cheese…usually the pasteurized process cheese food substitute, or American if it was on sale.
So, Nick has been gone now for well over a year, and we have had Buster for a few months…
The cheese tradition hasn’t stopped, Lacy kept getting her cheese, and I gave some to Buster. About a month ago I made the mistake of giving him a piece of sharp cheddar when I was out of cheap stuff. Now he won’t eat the cheap stuff anymore. If you give him a piece he mouths it and spits it out with a very definite ‘patooey’ sound. Then he lays his ears down and makes a snotty face at me .Erik called him a cheese sno. I stopped giving him treats for awhile, Lacy still gets her cheese ration. Sometimes I test Buster’s palate by trying different kinds of cheese. He finds the havarti to his liking.
Last night we had the most incredible rib-eye steaks. Erik gave some leftovers to Buster and Petey. This morning Buster wouldn’t eat his dog food. I guess he wants steak now. Tough luck buddy, none of us are getting ribeyes for breakfast.

1 comment:

banzai said...

haha

I'm definitely of the "if you don't like it there's always cat poop ..." school.